Problem Statement: The client required the ability for the end users to import pre-created and pre-categorized dashboards, inside their own custom created category, for the said dashboards.
Problem Description: The client wanted to provide the end users with a set of dashboards that were created beforehand, as templates, that could be used by the client to visualize his data. The client also wanted to give the end user the ability to re-categorize the dashboards and make any changes they see fit. Thus every end user can have their own folder structure with dashboards present inside it.
Solution Designed: For the above stated problem, Helical Workflow (HWF) was used to provide the solution –
- Share the templates with the end users. i.e- The end users can view the templates but not edit.
- On selection of the desired templates, copy them to the client and give him the creator permission (i.e- Make the client admin the creator of the copied dashboards) and share them with the all users of that organization, with edit permissions. Thus, making the dashboards editable for all users of the clients organization.
- While copying, the characterization can be redefined by the client as per his needs.
Solution Feasibility: The desired functionality was not an out-of-the-box feature of Helical Insight (HI). However, HI provides the ability to create any desired functionality and add it to the application as an add-on.
This is achieved by making use of the HWF module of HI. HWF stands for “Helical Work Flow”, which allows the user to define a workflow of his desired functionality. Using Helical Workflow, customers can implement their own custom business processes, call any functional modules of BI (like folders, email scheduling, exporting, caching etc) whenever they want. Also customer can custom code their own functional module and integrate using workflow.
HWF allows the user to add Java Code of the said functionality into Helical Insight without having to open the Helical Insight core files. HWF has access to all the API provided by HI and the user can use them directly, as if adding the feature into the core application itself.
The HWF acts as a mount point for any functionality that needs to be added as a custom feature, making HI highly adaptable and customizable.
- The first step was to create a UI for selecting the dashboard.
For this, an option was created in the menu-dropdown list which would redirect the user to the dashboard selection page.
- Dashboard Selection page:
The Dashboard selection page contains the list of available templates which can be selected and an input box to put the category in which the dashboard must be put.
The input box can accept a category hierarchy so that the user can put dashboards into sub categories.
- When the user is done with selecting the dashboards and defining the category hierarchy, he can finalize his selection by submitting it.
- The submit button will, in turn, trigger the HWF file containing the java code to import the dashboards.
The HWF file will return a response with success or failure of the import process, which will be used to display the relevant message on the screen.
Dashboard Selector :
This view will appear on clicking “Dashboard Selector” option from the menu list.
- Category Name : Define user specific category for saving dashboard
- Search : For Searching dashboard
- Shows the list of dashboards available
In the dashboard selection user can define category name, can select one or more dashboards from the dashboard list. On clicking “Add Dashboard” these dashboards will be saved inside the folder whereas folder name will be defined as Category Name. This is achieved using Helical Workflow (HWF).
To know more mail us at email@example.com Post your queries on forum : forum.helicalinsight.com